April 07, 2010

back in the saddle again

Busy couple of weeks and I have been back at work balancing the "life" stuff. I am really grateful I have a job that I can focus so much energy on training when it matters and it worked out well for Oceanside and my lead up to St. George so far. Its not always that way and sometimes I get buried behind weekends of work but it just makes me appreciate when it all works out.

I was interested to see how I would recover from the Oceanside race. It proved to be pretty motivating to see what paces I ended up with and to know that I saved some good stuff for race day. The week after I basically took it easy and stayed off of the running for a few days and soaked it up in the pool.


I had to head to Fresno for work on the next Tuesday so I got to hit up an old pool I use to swim at in Bako and ride the bike path. So nice out there right now and cleared my mind!


By Friday, I was feeling pretty good and jumped back into the EC training schedule with a "Strength Brick" workout. I had some huge gains since the last time I did this workout and knocked out a swim and some core work too. I was back! ...and stronger too! Here is my training time including the O-Side race until today.

In the 12 days ending 2010-04-07:


activity # timemileskm+ft




Road Bike9 16:56:30 262.7
422.77
6815




Swim10 8:58:00 16.76(32:05) 26.98(19:56)





Trail Running6 4:38:58 35.7(7:49) 57.45(4:51) 5005




Road Running1 1:35:00 14.0(6:47) 22.53(4:13) 1080




Yoga2 1:30:00









Strength1 55:00









Total12 34:33:28 329.16
529.74
12900




The next day Monique and I joined some friends for an "easy" 5ish hour ride. I didn't really plan on it. I was trying to keep the volume low but just rolled with it. I felt great running off of the bike and just got back to my normal training patterns. Open water swimming and some fun runs in the trails with friends.



Then our good friends were heading for THE summit. Literally... After reaching 6 of the great summits, Karen, Paul, Jordan and team left for Everest. A few of us got to catch up for just a bit over lunch before they left. This has been such a treat to witness. They are some amazing people and I am honored just to get to hear all of the stories. Huge inspiration. You can follow the adventure over here http://www.jordanromero.com



Here is a pic of some BBQ pizza that we made with Ryan and Sarah the other night. The girls did some cooking, Ryan took care of the refreshments and I burnt the chicken and did my fare share of eating. I love team work!


So from here it is back in the saddle and back to the journey that has become Ironman in the making. Such a fun trip!

No comments: