August 12, 2009

Working out the kinks

I have been keeping things rolling and just put down the first week of my new training plan. This is the first time I have managed to keep a training schedule but I think it is a perfect fit so it makes it easy. I am just riding about three times a week but swimming five times a week and have the biggest focus on running. I am working on my "limiters" and working out the kinks.

My biggest issue recently has been my ankles and foot. Sometimes adding volume just highlights a weakness or bad form. Keeping a good training log is a huge help in trying to "figure it out" so I started looking back and all of my injuries have been around my ankles and feet. A good and bad thing I guess. I decided to do something about it and to make a long story short I discovered I need to do some very basic core and stability exercises and that I have wide feet. Strange but it is the little things that make such a big difference!

I often logged my working noting that my feet were going numb and recently that I was bruising my feet. I have been riding without my insoles in my shoes to give me more room. I would have never guessed I had wide feet.

I should have known when I cut the straps off of my specialized shoes to stretch them out a bit more. I just dropped some bills on some new E2 wide running shoes and some wide and comfy road shoes. Agghh...feels so good to comfortably push along!


With my feet behind me...literally, I jumped into another open water swim this weekend at the Surf Monkey event and I feel like I am more comfortable than ever in the water. My muscular endurance for swimming specific muscles is increasing and now that I stopped paddling and everything but swim, bike, run I have more time to work on stroke details too.


Sean and I headed out into the waves and were planning on meeting up with Luke and James for a ride after but that will just have to wait until this weekend. . . Palomar and SART on the lineup and it is going to be big fun all weekend long!


We finished up last weekend with a day out on the San Juan trail. Good times for sure and really made me miss those long mountain bike rides. Then more running!

. . .and running

. . . and running

I am loving running more than ever and working on my biggest limiter. I keep thinking about what Eric said about run fitness crossing over to everything else and I can feel it. Its true and hopefully I can drop some of the weight I gained from paddling too ;-)

I am only racing the Santa Barbara tri as a tune up and but the focus is now all about two more Xterra races to finish off the year. Hopefully my fat feet get me there quickly.

4 comments:

jameson said...

i read something i really liked this week... "limiters" are not limiters, they are weaknesses. focusing on the run will pay off huge, especially when xterra worlds rolls around. that run is a bitch.

i have a couple of great run workouts that i have done in the past to prep for xterra. just say the word and i'll send them your way.

Luke said...

dood...looks like your foot soo wants to grow another toe! hahaha.

glad you got the kinks worked out...hopefully that will trump some of the issues.

Zippy said...

Listen to James. I started doing workouts on his fav. hill near his work last year and it's paying off BIG.

Really thinking about the Dirt Dog Series for some sick running work. Hmmm...

Ryan Weeger said...

dude those bontrager shoes are DOPE! not only do they look and work well, they are comfy as all hell for bike shoes.