November 13, 2009

Camp

Well, my first couple days of the little IMSG camp have been pretty cool... Epic in many ways because my decision and curiosity about Ironman training and racing have been answered. My expectations have already been far exceeded so it is all gravy from here on out...

On the way over to Utah I got to stay in Vegas for a night and hang out with some of the gang. Thursday mornings they usually do the Red Rock Canyon ride but the forecast was calling for 60mph winds so we played it safe and just rolled the neighbor hood after meeting up at starbucks. The wind in the hoods was enough for us so we just rode some local hills and chatted. Perfect ride!

We have had a few "talks" here and the camp and although we have not gone too long yet it has been some good info...I have actually taken some hand written notes and I am sure to pass it along. Our team here has a wonderful mix of people. The athletic experience of the group is as varied as the personalities themselves... from top 3x Ironman champion Chris McDonald to newbies and folks from all different backgrounds. One couple here is from Louisiana and they met here after Tim flew in from the middle of his hunting trip from Kansas. He is flying back right after the camp to crawl up into a tree and sit with his bow & arrow while he recovers and waits for a deer. This couple is in their 60's and have a couple of Ironmans under their belts already and they are not slowing down. Awesome!


We had rain this morning and with the cold temps in the reservoir, Gordo made a good save for all of us by clearing the way for us to get some laps in at the local pool. I was really stoked to get to share a lane with Gordo, Chris and some fast chicks! My goal was really just to keep up and not "get chicked" I pulled it off and then I just wanted to hit this killer slide on the far side of the pool but it was off limits to us.

Another highlight of my trip was getting to split a room with Gordo himself. Stoked! Not only did we get a suite but all the food for the camp is in MY room! YES!!


After some kicking back, eating and some more "race talks" we did a little ride out to Snow Canyon national park. This is just around the corner from the course and the ride has a little bit of climbing but HUGE views.

On the way back down Chris and I were out front and bombing down the canyon at about 40ish...I hit 46 max but my heart was jumping from getting to ride with such a giant. I really dont know what is more impressive about Chris... His power and focus to win, ability to back it up (racing two Ironmans just 6 days apart and taking 2nd and 1st) or his down to earth humble spirit. Seriously, the inspiration from Chris and his wife Marilyn is off the charts. Very cool people.


We just got back from grabbing some more food (at a good spot - "25 Main") and I got to scout out a little of the downtown area and little because there is not much but it is a cool place... I am sure this place is going to be stuffed on race day.

We have the bike course on tap for tomorrow with a long run off the bike. I just got done packing my bottles and and hoping I crash out soon. Im gonna need all the rest I can get for the next few months ;-)

3 comments:

Luke said...

dude! i wish my pool had a water slide!!

jameson said...

if our pool at the Y had a water slide i might actually go and swim!

so i guess the decision has been made? IM?

let me know about VQ.

runninggunner said...

Sounds like a very cool experience. And sharing a room with Gordo? Awesome.