December 21, 2007

City Streets

San Fran is starting to feel like home. No need for a map anymore and I know where all the Starbucks and good eats are at... yet there is still so much more to explore there. I got back from some meetings early so I was going to try to do a city run and make it to Marin before dark but I was already cold and it was starting to get dark.


Running through the city is a bit more scary/exciting as a single track sometimes. Even with an Ipod on full blast the city moves to its own rhythm and the energy is felt around every block. A truly unique place to get lost in a run. Monique and I have been so focused into our "goal setting" and "plan mapping" that it was time to let the focus go. The end of a wonderfully FULL year and with so much accomplished and so many "miles" behind us, our vision of what we want for the future is getting clear. What I have really been learning lately is that "goal's" are reached by two main means... A clear understanding/description/vision of the goal itself and the plan/directions/roadmap to get there. With that laid out you just need to keep up with the motivation/inspiration/effort/work to accomplish your goals.

I took my run to Marin much the same way. I really was not tying to stomp out some fast miles but I did have a clear understanding of where I wanted to go (the other side of the Golden Gate and Marin Hills) and started to map out my plans for how to get there. So much for letting go of this thinking on my run!


My goals, big and small usually have the same limiting factors too. Myself and lack of the willingness to put in the work/effort, find the motivation/inspiration or discipline to see the plan through. Training, work or other. What I do find is that I am pretty flexible (or maybe lazy?) to make changes when needed as long as the goal is constant.


The route that I took to the bridge had many side streets and turns up and down other  streets but I kept the bridge in sight. The music helped. Inspiration for me often comes from the ones I love and strength from the Lord when I have given out. Goal setting has a lot to do with setting "obtainable" goals, however, I have found the most rewarding experiences in life when I reach a goal that I never dreamed possible. Beyond my limits. I guess having the confidence of strength and inspiration does push you beyond your limitations. 



By the time I got to the bridge it was dark but the city lights looked so much better at night. A shift in plans but the goal was so close I could smell the fresh trees in the hills. I ran a lot longer that I should have but I had time on my hands and I was ready for a nice everlasting warm shower back in the city. That was my next goal.


No comments: