October 16, 2009

Countdown

I never understood why people say that the Xterra season is so long but I am starting to get what they are all talking about... I raced Xterra Granite Bay in March and I still feel like my biggest red line over the top heart attack race all year was the snowshoe race I did back in February. I think I knocked out about 30 races this year but I don't feel like I am slowing down. I am ready for Worlds! I am excited and it really is icing on the cake for me. I wanted to do the Xterra series for the last three years and my goal was to qualify for Nationals. Having the opportunity to race at a World Championship race is pretty cool. . . and going to Maui. Yeah, I cant wait!

It was just in the last couple of months that I have just been training specifically for swim, bike and run so I feel like I am just getting started. I have had a few weeks of intervals, race simulation bricks and real Xterra training and I am loving it. After joining masters swimming in September I am finally making it through sessions without going anaerobic and have the frequency I need to change my stroke for the better. I still don't understand how all those cubby swimmers are so dang fast but thats another story. I feel the same way about my running frequency and form. Its not the ideal running plan but it is better than it has ever been before. Better late than never!

I am loving my new SkinFit speed suit! Simply the best!

I have had more training volume this year than ever but in the last month or so I have really just focused on recovery from key sessions. I have had some sort of checklist in my head that I break down into taking care of the "outside" and "inside" so I thought i would share it. Basically, these broad categories can be separated into everything from daily maintenance to pre, during and post exercise checklists. Are you starting to get scared about how my head works? A daily "inside" checklist maybe eating right, taking my multi and fish oils and keeping a good mental motivation. Although most of the time I use this inside/outside checklist just for recovery after key sessions. The more items I can take care of the better and the quicker I can get back to crushing myself again real soon ;-)

Here is a checklist for recovery

-Inside -
recovery drink asap - restore glycogen stores
hydrate
a real meal w/in 30-40min w/ protein&fats
supplements - glutamine, SportMulti, Fish Oils
nap, eat, eat, eat, sleep

-Outside-
get core temperature down if needed asap
Foam rollin
Stretching
Ice Bath
Massage
stay horizontal if needed ;-)


Nothing to fancy but actually taking care of it consistently is the challenge. Of course, this is where the "before" and "during" items become important so I don't get behind on calories or unnecessary fatigue. It is a balance act but it is simple and it is fun.

As far as goals and plans for Worlds, I am just excited to participate and I don't have any goals for overall placing or age group placing. I have had a killer year of racing and Monique will also be racing in Maui with me and I cannot think of a better way to end the season. I want to take it all in and test my fitness. I have already been kicking around some race ideas for next year and I will decide when I get back if I will be racing triathlons or just sticking to the bike next year so my real goal for this race is just to enjoy the balance of swimming, biking and running in the dirt and push myself a little bit more than I thought I was capable of.... My balance between the swim, bike and run has never been better (even if I have lost FTP numbers on the bike!) and I am actually looking forward to that 7.5 mile run on the island.



I am sure this video only reveals part of the fun. The countdown has started and I cant wait!

No comments: