January 01, 2008

Round Mountain

The new year came upon us so fast... 9:12am and Monique wakes me up and says "I think that new years ride starts at 10am today" Aghh... Lets go!

I check the website to see where everyone is meeting and Monique pops in some bagels to get toasty. We are running back and forth with one eye open but we have had extensible experience at this type of packing. Clothes off...riding clothes on...I grab the bikes...Monique starts to pack the helmets, fill water bottles and before we get both eyes open we are driving to our destination. Rushing off to the hospital to deliver a baby will be like old hat when that day comes.

It was a good thing the park was just down the street and when we arrived we found more than 100 (150 someone said?) eager riders ready to head out.



After we got a short warm-up on the bike path we were off to China Grade Loop for a long steady climb and new territory up on round mountain road. Beautiful hills and we learned a lot about the area on the ride up. The hills we were riding through were once under the ocean water and now people dig for shark teeth in the area. Crazy stuff!

The ride had its unique highlights as all rides do but for me the big bull running stands out . . . After we started our decent and had a nice pace line BEHIND Tim and Melissa on the tandem bike we had about a half mile riding next to some fenced in cattle. One of these big ol cows started running along the fence pacing Enrique who was just about 50 yards in front of the pack. I was watching out of the corner of my eye when all of a sudden the fence disapeared and the cow was making its way onto the street. My mind saw a big tandem t-bone on its way and massive pileup about to happen... You never know when things will change just like that. It was Tims quick thinking or rather loud yell that stopped the cow and saved the day. Too bad I already made myself a cow patty in my pants at that point.

On the way back we realized that we had been riding for a couple hours already so I asked, "How long is this ride anyways?" 40+ something miles... Good thing I told Monique it would be a nice 12miler when we were heading out the door. No complaints. The weather was perfect and it was nice to chat it up with some friends and start out the new year with such a fun ride.

No comments: