January 17, 2009

Rumble Ramble

Well, the rumble went down and as expected there were surprises to be found around every corner. This is the only race I have done four times now and it is always a good test of fitness for early year racing. Switching to "race pace" is always a good reminder for training in the early months. I don't think I had ran that hard for months and the only "on foot sessions" I have logged over 4 miles have been on snowshoes. That pace was way off from a running race pace... I was stoked however to still post a PR for this 10K run course @ 41 minutes but the bike was a surprise.

(the bike course at large)

Everyone was getting lost with the course not exactly marked on the back side loop and it was switched from the last few years format. No worries. My legs felt great on the bike and I was waiting 41 minutes just to get on that bike! ;-) I crossed the line first but was one of the few willing to take a penalty for going off course. Results are not up and who knows how it will shake out... I was more bummed that someone made off with my Salomon Speed Cross shoes after the race. I had 17 miles on them including the run today! Oh well...I guess someone needed them more than me.

Monique was the star of the day...destroying her previous years pace on the bike and run and looking good doing it. This is one of the fist races I witnessed her still crushing it to the very last second. No complaints and hunger in her eyes...She is ready this year.


After the race, a feast and a nap...Monique and I headed for the local trails after the race to get more time in and enjoy the sunset. Time to shake out the legs from that run ;-)

No comments: