January 12, 2009

tinker tinker through the night

After giving a spin on Paul's bike a few weeks back I have really been thinking about going 2 x 9 on my bike or maybe even a 1 x 9 setup. Do you really need that many gears on most x-country courses anyways? Could a single Q Ring do the trick up front? Well, if I am going to try out some new stuff and tinker around with my bike now is the time this early in the season. Friday I had my bike in parts and was trying to get something going to test it out on the weekend rides...

It didn't quite make it. I moved over my SS crank but it was just not going to fit and then I tried to use my road bike and ditch the big ring but the bottom bracket spindle was too short... To make a long story short the idea is on hold for now ;-)

Saturday, I got up @ about 6ish to meet up and ride the GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) to Mount Baldy with the M's (Monique, Mandy and Marius). It was a perfect morning to a long day. The skies were clear because the wind was blowing like mad at the top. I had my cross bike with my panniers loaded up and Monique in tow... My legs were on fire! Great training!


By the time we reached the Baldy Village the only thing we were going to order was some cheese burgers and fries. Oh, that felt good when we were sitting but it was hard to get going again. We ended up getting back to the cars in just under four hours. Great company and a great ride. Mandy showed us some yoga moves, Marius attempted his first stretch all year and then Monique and I were off to Big Bear.

By the time we got to the Big Bear lake the sun was just setting... An amazing moon was already out! They say that the moon this weekend was the biggest it will apear all year. Hope you got to see it! We were in town for a snow shoe hike that Paul and Karen were hosting and to everyones suprise there were about 45 people that showed up. It was a pleasant surprise to see some old and new friends there too. Yet another strange place where we ran into Beth Dressel! We were stoked to be able to try out the Kathoola flight deck system that P&K had stacks of for demo.


Very cool stuff! You have the best of both worlds with a cramp on style boot and snowshoe deck for the pow pow. Because your shoes slide into the boot you can get a better fit and the extra installation kept my feet nice and toasty. Snapping in and out for the snow conditions is just genius.

After the trek, we were off for some stories and recovery drinks with the group. We decided to stay with Ryan and Amy for the night and we are so glad that we did (cooool people). We got breakfast and some conversation before Ryan headed out to ride with the guys in the Big Bear mountains anywhere where snow was not... We were off for another drive to Temecula to finish up the weekend and celebrate Emerson's very first B-Day party. It was classic.

No comments: